History: 50 Years of Excellence
Just like many other successful small businesses
of today, Alois Box has very humble beginnings. One man's
tenacity, desire and passion for the business created an environment
where the business flourished. It was March of 1953 when Alois
Box planted its roots in the basement of its founder, Michael
For three years, Mr. Alois singlehandedly toiled to sculpt
the backbone of his box company. Having worked in the packaging
business, he recognized that a high service-intensive sheet
plant would thrive and prosper. The effort started to pay
off. In 1956, a facility was rented in Berwyn, IL to house
the growing operation. Another three years of hard work and
growth followed before the business again moved to a larger
rented facility on Ruby Street in Melrose Park. The 10,000
square foot facility easily accomodated the company's employees.
The decade that followed continued to bring together the right
mix for further growth and expansion. In 1964, Mr. Alois reached
another critical milestone for his business. A major goal
he had set was reached. The business would move once again--this
time to a privately owned, newly constructed facility on 15th
Avenue in Melrose Park. The new 35,000 square-foot building
would easily accommodate the company's 50 employees. A few
years later, the company purchased a Flexo Folder Gluer. At
the time, this acquisition was truly a distinguishing factor.
Alois Box became the first sheet plant in the greater Chicago
metropolitan area to have this type of machine.
The service focus of the company never faltered. It was the
desire to always distinguish itself with its service deliverables
that guided the company. In 1976, the decision was made to
purchase a corrugator. This decisionwas also relatively unprecedented
for a company the size of Alois Box. Again the impetus behind
it was to establish itself on the leading edge of response
time. The corrugator operation was set up to have frequent
production changes enabling Alois to make small runs and deliver
next day if necessary. Customers became accustomed to getting
2 to 3 day delivery when the norm was two weeks. The corrugating
operation was housed in our current location on Mannheim Road
in Melrose Park.
A few years of economic instability followed. Mr. Alois determined
that it was not prudent to continue to run two facilities.
In 1978, the 15th Avenue operation was relocated to Mannheim
Road. The 50,000 square-foot facility easily accommodated
the operation and offered room for continued growth.
Alois Box continued to stay focused on the service concept
it was founded on. Recognizing that computers and automation
greatly enhanced productivity and customer response time,
a decision was made to invest in a system specifically designed
for the industry to assist in the quotation, order processing,
and manufacturing processes. Consequently, Alois Box became
the second installation of the Harry Rhodes System.
The early 1980s also continued to introduce other forms of
automation to Alois. Electronic forklifts were purchased and
a B-flute station was added to the corrugator. A Ward Rotary
Die Cutter was added to strengthen our ability to service
a wide spectrum of our customers' corrugated needs.
Another spurt of improvements began in 1995 and continued
growth through 2003. These included a 9000 square-foot warehouse
addition, a CAD system and computerized cutting table for
the design department, a new scrap-handling system, and the
replacement of every corrugator component expanding the machine
from 67" to 87".
Today, Alois Box is still passionately dedicated to distinguishing
itself through its service deliverables. the commitment to
that end is so real that some key customers are granted service
guarantees. Our customer base covers a great variety of industries
and businesses. Of special interest though is the fact that
a significant portion of our business comes from job shops.
Time and time again we have proven that if you must have it
in a hurry, Alois Box is the place to call.